Amid the rapidly changing technology disruption era, developing employees’ competencies to be equipped with knowledges and occupational expertise as well as management skills, including promoting their leaderships, are the key success factors for achieving in organizational management. It is also one of the human resources management strategies in response to business expansions and increase competitive advantages. Consequently, BPP has prepared the comprehensive competency development plans for both executives and employees to heighten their learning ability and working efficiency in parallel with the leadership development plan corresponding to the organization’s targets and missions.
BPP has developed the IDP and training roadmap, divided into short- term (annual basis) and long- term employee development courses (according to the business strategy plan), the management approach of which are as follows:
As a result, BPP has set different employee development formats according to the position level to be in line with the most effective learning process and support the employee’s performances at each level as follows:
- Developing the Banpu Group Learning and Development Road Map by taking into account the knowledge necessary for working system, people system and managerial skills. BPP’s employee development is focusing on leadership and functional competencies so that our personnel, ranging from the employee level to the managerial level, can enhance their working skills in parallel with leadership capabilities.
- Improving the leadership competency in accordance with the business strategies for the years 2021-2025, namely:
- business acumen
- execution and deliverable management
- critical thinking and decision making
- growth mindset
- digital savy.
- Establishing a specific people capability development for power business and is in the process of organizing training courses for employees in
- Designing the High Potential Development Program for employees at all levels to train them with a set of knowledge relating to new skills required for the power business transition.
- Evaluating the IDPs and apply the results for continual improvement.
In addition, BPP has also encouraged its employees to learn in various ways such as:
- Providing opportunities for employees to gain direct working experiences, e.g., transferring to work in other functions having work characteristics close to such an employee’s function, attending the cross-function projects, and working in overseas affiliates, etc.
- Learning through online course platforms the employees can choose the topics they want to learn by themselves.
- Instilling all employees to realize the importance of continuous learning and development through enhancing the Growth Mindset.
- Employees completely setting up IDPs, accountable for 83% in Thailand, and 88% in China.
- Employees received an average of 21.5 training hours/ person/ year.
- Key positions having a succession plan covered 100%.
- Implementing specific people capability development for power business, such as project management training, negotiation, contract management, accounted for 70% of the total plan, including regularly coaching staff in the property management and engineering department by executives and experts on a monthly basis.
- In the previous year, BPP organized leadership and competency development trainings as following:
Key Activities and Projects
BPP has designed a curriculum to upgrade and develop new generation leaders, regarded as another important success factor helping drive business growth. The program aims to create effective leadership, starting from self- development to team development. BPP believes that these development programs will help its employees to manage tasks, practice leadership, and to develop teamwork. This will support the creation of innovations more efficient, as well as improve working processes, and increase company’s business values.
The program also promotes participants selected from unit’s leaders from BPP’s operating countries to exchange experiences and create a collaboration network among them.
Banpu Global Leadership Program is divided into four levels as follows:
Banpu Global Leadership Program is held annually, taking about 8-10 months. It is divided into modules to develop leadership competencies at each level, along with learning from leading consulting firms, and exchanging experiences among participating leaders throughout the training period. Additionally, participants will learn working styles and cultures from representative employees in various operating countries under Banpu Group, in which BPP has invested. This will also encourage collaborative working in the future.
- Fostering leadership characteristics, starting from building individual success to co-workers, and the public, which will help in managing the work efficiently, leading, and developing the team to unleash their highest potential.
- Building business understanding, able to develop one’s own potential, and improve efficiency to create values for businesses and customers.
- Promoting agile working style, and exchanging experiences among executives under Banpu Group.
- 100% of critical positions are succeeded by participating employees.
- Employees selected in the high potential group, participated in this program 80%
- Employees selected in the high potential pool remain in the organization 100%.
BPP has selected employees with outstanding performances and sound attitudes consistent with the corporate shared values in order to formulate a development plan for these employee groups. The aim is to develop the competencies and work experiences beneficial to their future work, inclusion of managing these talents in the succession plan appropriately. For a continuity of business management and strategic support, the succession plan for key positions has been laid down as follows:
- Establishing the succession plan committee to develop and manage the succession plan for significant The committee is obligated to prescribe a policy and determine the key and critical positions.
- Setting up the key and critical position profiles and developing criteria for further nomination and selection.
- Nominating and selecting persons who will succeed such positions. Consequently, the Human Resources (HR) Department will work together with the succession plan committee.
- Developing, monitoring, and evaluating the IDPs of selected persons. Thus, the HR Department will work together with the Succession Plan Committee.
- Reviewing the key position succession plan in accordance with the company’s strategies as well as identifying critical roles for further developing a guideline to select the persons to succeed these positions, including a development plan for critical positions. In addition, the Succession Plan Committee meeting has been convened quarterly so as to monitor a progress of such a development plan.
Initiating an assessment for a group of employees identified as high potential employees according to the international consulting standards.
BPP drives innovation through cultivating a corporate culture wherein “Innovative” is one of the three (3) core values. At Banpu Power, innovation is promoted through various activities so that all of its employees realize the importance of bringing innovation to develop the organization sustainably.
To cultivate the “Innovative Culture”, BPP has opened a space for employees to present their ideas and innovations, leading to materialized implementation through the “Streamline Innovation Process” program. By this platform, employees can submit their innovations to join the project to receive advice from experts to further improve his/her own innovative projects. Each year, employees of Banpu Group and Banpu Power also take part in the annual “Banpu Innovation Convention” in order to exchange their knowledge and experiences, as well as to present their outstanding performances of innovative projects operated.
In addition, BPP has encouraged its employees to participate in “Banpu Hackathon”, a forum for employees of Banpu Group and Banpu Power to express their ideas on new business opportunities, or build upon their original work process. Moreover, the “UnBoX, Unleash Your Creativity” activity has been organized, as a platform for employees to share experiences related to innovation and changing trends with internal and external experts. It aims at creating awareness of employees at both Banpu Group and BPP on creative thinking, using innovation to further his/her own work.
BPP has provided opportunities for all employees to exchange knowledge in various fields with their colleagues online quarterly. This knowledge sharing session takes about 4.5 hours per time. The topics arranged for the knowledge sharing program in the year 2022 are as follows:
- Techniques for internal facilitator
- Hydrogen value chain
- Civil law and criminal law in labor law
- Contract Management
- Bidding game for merchant power market
Banpu Group’s Training and Development Policy