Amid the rapidly changing technology disruption era, developing employees’ competencies to be equipped with knowledges and occupational expertise as well as management skills, including promoting their leaderships, are the key success factors for achieving in organizational management. It is also one of the human resources management strategies in response to business expansions and increase competitive advantages. Consequently, BPP has prepared the comprehensive competency development plans for both executives and employees to heighten their learning ability and working efficiency in parallel with the leadership development plan corresponding to the organization’s targets and missions.
BPP has developed the IDP and training roadmap, divided into short- term (annual basis) and long- term employee development courses (according to the business strategy plan), the management approach of which are as follows:
As a result, BPP has set different employee development formats according to the position level to be in line with the most effective learning process and support the employee’s performances at each level as follows:
- Developing the Banpu Group Learning and Development Road Map by taking into account the knowledge necessary for working system, people system and managerial skills. BPP’s employee development is focusing on leadership and functional competencies so that our personnel, ranging from the employee level to the managerial level, can enhance their working skills in parallel with leadership capabilities.
- Improving the leadership competency in accordance with the business strategies for the years 2021-2025, namely:
- business acumen
- execution and deliverable management
- critical thinking and decision making
- growth mindset
- digital savy.
- Establishing a specific people capability development for power business and is in the process of organizing training courses for employees in
- Designing the High Potential Development Program for employees at all levels to train them with a set of knowledge relating to new skills required for the power business transition.
- Evaluating the IDPs and apply the results for continual improvement.
In addition, BPP has also encouraged its employees to learn in various ways such as:
- Providing opportunities for employees to gain direct working experiences, e.g., transferring to work in other functions having work characteristics close to such an employee’s function, attending the cross-function projects, and working in overseas affiliates, etc.
- Learning through online course platforms the employees can choose the topics they want to learn by themselves.
- Instilling all employees to realize the importance of continuous learning and development through enhancing the Growth Mindset.
- 85% of Employees in Thailand developed their individual development plans (IDPs), while 60% of those in China completed setting up theirs.
- The employees were trained in an average of 29 hours/person/year.
- The key positions having a succession plan covered 100%.
Key Activities and Projects
Banpu Group has organized the leadership development program in response to the future business directions, with an aim to create a new generation of effective leaders having innovative ideas in working. The training is also promoting exchanging of experiences and building a collaborative network among participants selected from leaders in different functions across the organizations in every country.
All participants are initially selected by senior management in all countries where the company has operated. All of those selected will be considered by the selection committee to attend this training each year.
The Banpu Leadership Program is divided into 4 levels as following:
- Banpu Global Leadership Program for Future Leader is arranged for junior-level management
- Banpu Global Leadership Program for First Line Leader is organized for middle-level management.
- Banpu Global Leadership Program for Business Leader is held for Vice-Presidents
- Banpu Global Leadership Program for Strategic Leader is set for Senior Vice-Presidents
The Banpu Group Leadership Development program is organized annually and lasts approximately 8-10 months. It is divided into modules so as to develop leadership competencies for each level of employees. The training will be run together with learning from the leading consulting firms as well as exchanging experiences among participants throughout the program. In addition, the participants will learn various working styles and cultures in Banpu Group, which will lead to a collaboration in the future.
BPP has selected employees with outstanding performances and sound attitudes consistent with the corporate shared values in order to formulate a development plan for these employee groups. The aim is to develop the competencies and work experiences beneficial to their future work, inclusion of managing these talents in the succession plan appropriately. For a continuity of business management and strategic support, the succession plan for key positions has been laid down as follows:
- Establishing the succession plan committee to develop and manage the succession plan for significant The committee is obligated to prescribe a policy and determine the key and critical positions.
- Setting up the key and critical position profiles and developing criteria for further nomination and selection.
- Nominating and selecting persons who will succeed such positions. Consequently, the Human Resources (HR) Department will work together with the succession plan committee.
- Developing, monitoring, and evaluating the IDPs of selected persons. Thus, the HR Department will work together with the Succession Plan Committee.
- Reviewing the key position succession plan in accordance with the company’s strategies as well as identifying critical roles for further developing a guideline to select the persons to succeed these positions, including a development plan for critical positions. In addition, the Succession Plan Committee meeting has been convened quarterly so as to monitor a progress of such a development plan.
Initiating an assessment for a group of employees identified as high potential employees according to the international consulting standards.
Banpu Group’s Training and Development Policy