Employees are the most important factor in running operations and driving the organization growth. Since BPP has operated and expanded its businesses to many countries with differences in in both culture and labor law, the company has focused on conducting good labor practice standards according to the international principles. Moreover, it has committed to carrying out and improving the labor practices continuously in order to maintain its employees in all workplaces with best practice standards equally.
In addition to providing a safe working environment and allocating resources and welfare to facilitate employee’s operations appropriately and adequately, BPP has also paid great importance on promoting equality and non-discrimination. This starts from the recruitment process to measurement of employee’s performance and growth within the organization. It also includes creating employee’s participation and listening to their opinions in order to improve the labor practices on a regular basis. The aim is to be an organization with good labor practices, which is recognized internationally.
BPP has formulated the employee relation policy as a practice guideline for strengthening good relationships with its employees. The employee engagement is fostered with ‘Say Stay Strive’ concept.
BPP has managed its human resources efficiently with the concept of One Banpu, One Goal. The aim is to have employees in every country use this concept and turn it into tangible actions in accordance with the international labor best – practices, including reviewing it for further improvement and adjustment to be aligned with their operations and the social context regularly. BPP’s human capital management guidelines are summarized as follows:
- Employee’s recruitment process: BPP equally considers applicants based on their qualifications, knowledge and experiences by using job position’s characteristics as the criteria regardless of other qualifications are not related to the applicant’s effectiveness, such as genders and ages.
- Encouraging collaborative working under the diversity of employees: This guideline has been implemented for a long time in all countries where BPP has run its businesses in order to strengthen collaboration and drive the company’s innovation towards the sustainable business growth.
- Cultivating the Banpu Heart corporate culture: The company aims to develop its personnel to be a professional employee, by treating and giving them equal opportunities regardless of their divestitures. The professional employee will be committed to working under the clear vision and goals as well as the corporate shared values.
- Performance appraisal: The company has determined a key performance indicators (KPIs) system, which is clear and consistent with the company’s goals. The employee’s KPI consists of two parts, including work related KPIs accountable for 70%, and behavior base KPIs, equivalent to 30%. The behavior base KPIs are assessed from behaviors in accorance with the Banpu Heart corporate culture.
- Renumeration Management: BPP has determined the remuneration payment based on each job evaluation. The remuneration is set in a competitive range in the labor market in each area where BPP has operated. The remuneration will be in accordance with each job position equally without gender discrimination. Each year, the employee’s compensation rate will be determined based on the performance evaluation results of that year.
- Career Growth within the Organization: Employees with outstanding performances will be selected by their supervisors based on his/ her consistently outstanding performance, both directly relevant to his/her job and behaviors expressing the corporate shared values. Then, these employees will be presented to the committee to consider the promotion. The consideration in the form of a committee will create transparency and ensure that there is no discrimination on genders, ages, etc.
- Complaint Channel: Employees can consult or submit complaints on various matters through the supervisors and human resource management department directly. In the event that an employee wishes to submit a complaint anonymously, such a complaint can be sent via an online channel. The complaints could be a matter of things, such as being uncomfortable at work, having conflicts with supervisors/ colleagues/ executives, non-transparent operations, including sexual harassment and others. BPP has a process to investigate the complaints, take corrective actions, including disciplinary actions as specified in the working regulations.
- Opinions Receiving Channel: Employees can submit comments for improvements in welfare and compensation in various ways through the welfare committee or other forms of committees in the context of workplace operations in each country. Additionally, employees can submit opinions through their supervisors. human resources department, an organizational engagement survey, small group in-depth hearings, etc.
- Working Regulations: The working regulations in accordance with the year 2020 new labor law has been improved and communicated to all employees. Such regulations consist of various categories, such as working days category, holiday category and holiday regulations, dates and places for wages payment, overtime payment, rules for leave, welfare, complaints, termination of employment, compensation payment, etc.
- No incidents related to violations of labor laws and practices, discrimination, rights violation, sexual and other harassments in the workplace.
- The working environment examination results were in accordance with the standards prescribed by laws, and there were no serious working accidents in all operational areas.
- Improving welfare and set measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19.
- Upgrading welfare by listening to employees’ opinions.
Key Activities and Projects
The Human Resources (HR) Department has employed a recruiting process, which has been designed and clearly identified the qualifications in the job requirement announcement. Both expertise and experiences of applicants will be assessed, including using the culture-fit assessment and behavioral-based interview in the recruiting process in order to know applicants’ working attitudes in accordance with the company’s corporate shared values.
BPP has internal job openings run through the Internal Job Posting process so as to give its employees the opportunity to apply for the interested jobs. By this mean, employees contact the HR Department and go through a fair selection process. In addition, the company has also provided employees the opportunities to learn and develop themselves through a direct work experience, such as a job rotation for temporary learning in the field close to his/her line of work, or joining projects with a cross-functional working nature (project assignment), or working in the company’s foreign affiliates, etc.
In order to obtain high potential employees to work with the organization and retain them with the company, BPP has deployed a compensation management system fair on both salary and welfare, and able to compete in the power business labor market. Meanwhile, the
compensation increasement will be based on the employee’s annual performance appraisal results. Moreover, the company has also conducted surveys to improve its compensation management on a regular basis in order to stay competitive in the labor market, covering wage rates in the same business, the consumer price index, and the economic impacts affecting the cost of living.
The Company has adhered to three principles of human resources management, consisting of the employee’s equality (Equitability), the performance-based management (Performance Base), and the competency management (Competency Base). We have long been supporting collaborative works under diversities of races, languages, cultures, ages, and countries in which the Company has operations in order to strengthen the collaborative works and drive the Company’s innovations towards the sustainable business growth.
Performance management is an important process driving the organization to achieve its established business goals. It is a linkage between the organizational requirements and each employee’s individual working target. It is also an administrative tool allowing superiors to know their subordinates’ performances and his/her competency in addition to promoting collaborations among them on setting goals and KPIs together. This has led to the partnership and good relationships between supervisors and subordinates, ultimately escorting to the organizational success.
Defining a clear and tangible performance appraisal system able to measure and evaluate the success of each person is therefore essential. Messages on performance management have been also communicated to all employees for acknowledgement and using it as a practice guideline as follows:
- Defining a fair key performance indicator (KPI) system in order to manage performance in the same direction/ in accordance with the Company’s targets. In addition, the Company has revised the KPI scoring criteria divided into two sets, consisting of work-related KPIs accountable for 70% of the overall performance, and corporate cultural behavior based KPIs representing the remaining 30%.
- Improving the performance appraisal standards as the single practice guidance across the organization. This guideline determined that each indicator must have at least one performance evaluation criteria from four criteria, including: 1. Quantity criteria 2. Progress and Time criteria 3. Budget Utilization criteria (Cost) 4. Accuracy and Quality criteria. The improved performance appraisal standards have been communicated to employees for their clear acknowledgement and understanding of the improvement of performance assessment.
- Identifying the key performance indicators beyond their own responsibilities, such as those relating to subordinate management skills. The Company has determined the leadership KPIs for department’s managers and up so that they are aware that in addition to managing his/her department’s works, paying high attention and caring for subordinates is also part of helping improve the department’s performance better.
Banpu Group’s Human Resource Management Policy