The major costs of thermal power plants and combined heat and power (CHP) plants are from fuels which are used for generating power, steam and other energies. The energy consumption efficiency, therefore, directly affects costs and competitive advantages as well as greenhouse gas emissions. Meanwhile, regulations setting the fuel consumption intensity per unit of product standards by the local government, such as those in China, are considered as the challenges the power producers must adapt themselves to keep up with such changes. This includes the improvement of energy consumption of existing power plants and projects under development in response to clean energy demand in the future and the power plants’ lower energy consumption intensity per unit of product as well as be a part of alleviating climate change.
Activities related to energy consumption in producing electricity, steam and heat are as follows:
As a producer of power, steam, hot water and others, the Company’s energy consumption is mainly from the boiler’s fuel combustion activities of thermal power plants. The electricity production from solar power plants consumes minimal energy. The Company, therefore, focuses on power management in its power plants as follows:
|Existing Thermal Power Plants||Future Thermal Power Plants||Renewable Power Plants|
|• Improving the boiler efficiency in order to achieve the most combustible efficiency
• Reducing heat and energy leakages in the pipe system
• Planning for effective maintenances to increase the availability factor (AF) of power plants, reducing the planned outage factor and the unplanned outage factor as well as decreasing the energy loss from stoppages and starting operating the power plant
• Looking for opportunities to reduce heat loss and reusing such heats
• Improving other supporting systems, such as enhancing the boiler’s water quality for longer use, reducing water discharge and refilling new water to the system
• Looking for opportunities to use other fuels available in the area, such as waste gas from neighboring industrial plants, natural gas, biomass fuels, etc.
• Reducing energy consumption in the power plants and other supporting works
• Planning for purchasing fuels and seeking various vendors to supply quality fuels with reasonable prices
• Studying the possibility to reduce the transportation’s fuel consumption
|• Using High Efficiency, Low Emissions (HELE) technology with low fuel consumption
• Arranging the fuel transportation system and others appropriately to reduce the transportation’s energy consumption
|• Increasing electricity production from renewable energy with no less than 20% by 2025
• Reducing energy consumptions and losses from operating the system and other parts
• Conducting a study to reduce electricity consumption of solar power plants during the nighttime.
• Conducting a study for a maintenance plan to increase efficiency
The Company has managed energy by regularly monitoring and comparing the imported energy to the energy generated and consumed in each production unit since it is the main costs of electricity generation from thermal power plants and CHP plants. It is also looking for opportunities to reduce the use of fossil fuels which are the costs and causing greenhouse gas emissions such as:
● Studying on modification of fuels available in each area, such as natural gas, biomass, etc.
● Improving the techniques to spray fuels into the boilers to increase energy efficiency
● Seeking for production opportunities and using more clean energy to replace fossil fuel, such as installing solar cells on coal storage plants, the streets, and parking lots, etc.
● Sales of other products related to electricity production according to market demand such as steam and cold water can reduce energy loss and energy consumption rate per unit of product
Since the machinery of Zouping Power Plant has long been used while many of its parts were replaced in order to reduce pollutant emissions or a so called “Ultra–Low Emissions”, it has less efficiency and consumed more electricity. As a result, the power plant’s efficiency has decreased as a whole. In addition, Zouping Power Plant has to generate power and steam of which production procedures are different from its initially operational commencement. The Zouping Power Plant, therefore, developed a plan to improve its efficiency and reduce the power consumption ratio of its machinery so as to increase the power plant efficiency.
The Zouping Power Plant conducted the engineering study and designing the fly-ash transportation system by installing one more bin pump at the ash hopper No. 5 and No. 6. As a result, there are three bin pumps in the system. Moreover, the existing bin pumps installed at the ash hopper No.1, 2, 3 and at the ash hopper No.4, 5, 6 were moved and installed at the bin pump No. 1, 2 and No.3, 4, respectively, so as to make a balance in the system. As a result, the bin pumps were able to reduce their energy consumption to 1,421,400 KWh per annum, equivalent to CNY 640,000 per annum.
Moreover, Zouping Power Plant also installed the rotational speed control equipment of the forced draft fan at the boiler No.4 and No.6 as well as the induced draft fan at the boiler No.6 in order to reduce the rotational speed. Meanwhile, the power plant has been operated at the low operation mode, which can help reduce energy consumption approximately 50% or 9,290,000 KWh per annum, equivalent to CNY 4,200,000 per annum.